When you think of summer, do you think about boating, vacations, camping, and barbeques? One of the best ways to enjoy your summer is to get out and enjoy nature with your family. But even in nature, bad things can happen. You can create a fire that spreads to another campsite, your personal property can be stolen, or you might injure another person accidentally. Often your homeowner’s insurance policy extends coverage to your possessions offsite, but the coverage may be limited. The best way to make sure that you are adequately covered is to have a chat with your insurance agent.
Camping Safety Tips
Here are a few safety tips to keep you and your family safe:
- Pack extra water.
- Always prepare for the unexpected. Before you leave, check the weather report, learn about security at your camp location and tell your family or friends what your plans are and where you will be camping.
- Make sure your first aid kit is well stocked.
- Pack foods in tight, waterproof bags or containers and keep them in an insulated cooler.
- Cook foods to proper temperatures (for instance, ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees).
- Familiarize yourself with area where you are going, and make sure you have at least two maps.
- Verify that your camp site allows fires.
- Do not handle, feed, or unintentionally attract wild animals with open garbage cans or litter.
- Keep lanterns and open flames outside of the tent.
- Determine a central location where everyone will meet in case you get separated.
- Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless and can cause illness or death in people and pets. Never use fuel-burning equipment such as gas stoves, heaters, lanterns, and charcoal grills inside a tent, camper, or other enclosed shelter.
- To help fight insect bites, apply insect repellent containing DEET to exposed skin. Repellents containing 20% or more DEET can protect up to several hours.
While we can’t help you build your fire, we can help you see to it that your camper, ATV, boat, and motorcycle are insured to fit your budget and needs. With over 40 years of experience in the industry, Brad Runnebaum and Jeff Hartman established PlatinumOne Insurance Agency in 2008. We have established relationships with some of the top carriers in the industry including Travelers, Allied, Kemper, Encompass, Progressive and many others.