There’s no better way to celebrate Halloween than by carving up jack-o’-lanterns with the family and friends. This season, save the gore for your favorite scary Halloween movies and take precautions with these simple tips.
This Halloween, keep these safety tips in mind when you’re carving your pumpkin masterpiece:
TRIA orthopedic surgeon Yvonne Grierson, MD shares these tips:
- Pick the right pumpkin – Select a pumpkin that has a smooth surface and is light in weight.
- Carve in a clean, dry, well-lit area – Be sure to wash and thoroughly dry all the tools you will use. Any moisture on your hands or table could cause slipping, which may lead to injuries.
- Always use adult supervision – Let the adults or older children do the carving. Kids can still get involved with the process by helping pick out the pattern, drawing the pattern and cleaning out the inside of the pumpkin.
- Use the right tools or pumpkin carving kit – Kits include a small serrated pumpkin saw that typically work better than a sharp knife. A sharp knife is not always better because it may become wedged in the thick pumpkin tissue, requiring force to remove it. Injuries from a sharp knife are more likely to cause a deep penetrating cut.
- Get help for an injury – If you cut your finger or hand, bleeding from minor cuts will often stop on its own by applying direct pressure. If continuous pressure does not slow or stop the bleeding after 15 minutes, an emergency room visit may be required.
We offer a multitude of personal insurance options for individuals and families. Our personal coverages include; homeowners, renters, automobiles, motorcycles, boats, recreational vehicles, snowmobiles, flood, life insurance, and much more.
We are committed to providing clients with the highest quality insurance plans available combined with some of the lowest possible rates. Whether you are shopping for auto insurance, home insurance, life, or business insurance, we can help you obtain the best coverage available with the lowest rate possible.
We are locally owned and operated out of Overland Park, Kansas and are strongly represented in all areas of the Kansas City metropolitan area including not only Kansas City, but also Olathe, Leawood, Lenexa & Shawnee. We primarily write business in Johnson and Wyandotte Counties in Kansas but are licensed in the entire State.