Did you know that Halloween is the second highest grossing commercial holiday after Christmas? Did you also know that children are more likely to be hit by a car and killed on Halloween than on any other day of the year? Kids love to dress up, get together with friends, and go door-to-door hoping to find the full size candy bar, so keep them safe by doing a little pre-planning. Here are some pointers for ensuring your house is a safe place for trick-or-treaters on October 31.
Keep Kids Safe
- Never go into a strangers home
- Children under the age of 12 should not be alone at night without adult supervision
- Don’t eat homemade candy unless you know the family
- Wear reflective clothing
- Have a flash light
- Look at all wrapped candy, if it has been opened toss it out
- Develop a route with your parents
- Go in a group of kids
- Set a curfew
Safety For Pets
Make sure your pet is in a safe and comfortable space or take them to a secure, relaxing location for the evening.
- Clean up your yard
- Make a clear well illuminated path to your door
- Remember that a lot of Halloween decorations like dried flowers, straw and crepe paper are highly flammable. Make sure to keep your decorations away from all open flames
- Make sure all outside lights are in good working order
- If you have a large display make sure electric cords are taped or secure to prevent tripping
- Practice indoor fire safety by checking all smoke detectors. Make sure candles are placed in a secure area
- Make sure windows and doors are locked at all times
- It’s never a good idea to answer the door after a certain time
We are locally owned and operated out of Overland Park, Kansas and are strongly represented in all areas of the Kansas City metropolitan area including not only Kansas City, but also Olathe, Leawood, Lenexa & Shawnee. We primarily write business in Johnson and Wyandotte Counties in Kansas but are licensed in the entire State. We primarily write business in Jackson, Cass and Platt County in Missouri but again are licensed in the entire State to write business. We offer preferred coverage that qualifies for all mortgage companies and strive to be the premier Kansas City Independent Insurance Agency.